Friday, March 5, 2021

#SOL21 | 05 | Who is Watching?

Am I the only person nosey enough to peer into people's windows as I walk past them?  I'm not talking full on face pressed against the glass or anything.  But if a window has its blinds open and you can see inside someone's space, do you mean to tell me you avert your eyes or are you like me and you take a peek into what's happening in there?

Maybe that's just an apartment thing.  After all, it's not like there's a yard to keep the distance.

I don't mean to do it, but as someone constantly on the look out for the next character, story, or slice idea it's hard not to take a peek into the living rooms of others as they have their blinds pulled back and their light streaming out practically inviting me to do so.

This is on my mind because while walking my dog, Cooper, this past evening I had to double take as on the second floor I caught sight of someone who had a deer head mounted in their apartment living room.  I've seen deer head décor before, but it never occurred to me that something so big would be in someone's apartment.  

Here are a few other things I have noticed when walking my dog around our apartment complex:

- There is an apartment on the back side of the building with a tiny kitten who occasionally pokes his head between the closed blinds.  I always shout KITTY! when I see him.  I have no idea why.

Source: XKCD Comic

- The apartment at the end of the row has a pair of chihuahuas that absolutely DO NOT like Cooper.  I can usually count down when they will begin barking at us as we walk past.  I've made it a bit of a game.

-  The couple on the front-side, second story of my building who regularly watch anime and I try to identify what they are watching as I walk back to my own apartment to watch anime.

- The guy on the second floor with a dog that also likes to bark at Cooper.  Last night her owner was with her on the balcony and when the barking began he chided the dog, "Oh. My. God. Hannah. Shut up."

Of course, most people keep their blinds closed.  I suppose there's a reason for that.

                                                                            

This post is part of the 14th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge.  

#SOL21 and information around Slicing can be found on Two Writing Teachers.

8 comments:

  1. Our puppy spends long stretches on a chair, just staring out the big window (she's just come padding back as I write this) like a cat. Even when nothing is happening, she's watching the world.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally look and even miss neighbors I have never met when they are not in the window like I expect them to be.My younger son always chided me for being nosy- I prefer curious!Makes me think I should write a slice about my window noticings (in a high rise I do not even need to walk to spy, I mean notice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious is definitely a nicer way to put it for sure!

      Delete
  3. I am also very curious about those around me and do like to peek, from a distance, as well. We are in a townhouse and so things are a bit closer and more noticeable. Mostly I wonder about all of the guests that the couple behind us have staying at their house. There are always cars and random folks hanging out???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I also admire curb appeal - plants, wreaths, decorations, etc. This reminds me of a 911 episode I watched last night. The character used a telescope to look in on his neighbors and found some suspicious behavior. Just another way to find ideas for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you made me remember a Hitchcock film with the same premise. I hope my own viewings remain mundane. It's hard to look at "curb appeal" things when it's an apartment, but I definitely take notice of the things they have out on their porch or hanging in their windows.

      Delete
  5. Curiosity can be so tempting and when it is right there, it's pretty tough to look away. I find myself doing this when I walk in the halls of my school, I tend to glance into open doors as I pass unless I concioulsy tell myself not to. Sometimes I end up in an awkward occurance of eye contact otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing at school -- most of our classrooms have a glass insert window so it's hard not to glance in as I walk by. I just like to know what's going on!

      Delete