Tuesday, March 30, 2021

#SOL21 | 30 | Never Gonna Give Up On Pranks

Tomorrow is the last day of the annual SOLSC month long challenge.  The day after that is April Fool's Day.  Today's slice is a nice blend of the two, as I decided just now that I would write about my plans for the days ahead.

Like many, I have mixed feelings about the holiday known as April Fool's Day.  Pranks and jokes can be cruel or irritating, especially when they go too far or involve something freaky.  For example, I have never been a fan of the 'food switch' prank or anything that involves watching a video that screams at you out of nowhere.

However, as a fan of puns and puzzles, I do appreciate the kind of April Fool's tomfoolery that is witty, clever, and just silly.  For example, in previous years instead of writing April 1st, I will write the date as March 32 (though now that particular joke lands a little differently).  Another teacher classic is to wear my name badge upside down or even switch name badges with another teacher, just to see who is paying attention.  I'm not sure if these actually count as April Fool's day pranks, but they are harmless fun and the kind of prank I can get behind.

Another classic prank that I can get behind is the Internet meme known as the Rickroll.  Not familiar?  Essentially it is a prank that originated on the Internet and uses the music video for Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up."  You click a link thinking it will take you to one website, only to be redirected to the synthetic opening beats of that 80s classic.  I didn't realize it until I read the Wikipedia article, but it is essentially THE anthem of April Fool's Day and got its start just as I was graduating high school.  That could explain why I find it so endearing.

But what does that have to do with my plans for this year?

Earlier today, as I was creating my agenda slides for the rest of the week, I reached the April 1/March 32 slide and I started thinking about what harmless pranks could I pull on my students?  I wanted to keep it subtle, but still have fun.  One of my new teaching practices this year is playing lo-fi music in class while students are writing or working.  It's background music that doesn't get too distracting since (usually) there are no lyrics.  One student even said it made my class feel like an elevator -- though I'm still not sure if that was a compliment, an insult, or just an observation.

There are a lot of lofi mixes out there and I found myself thinking "I wonder if there is a Rickroll lofi?"

And wouldn't you know it...there is.  The Internet always provides.

So that's what I'm doing Thursday.  Do you have any classic April Fool's pranks to share?


This post is part of the 14th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge.  

#SOL21 and information around Slicing can be found on Two Writing Teachers.  

3 comments:

  1. Your pranks are my speed. I do not have any plans yet. One year I did a following directions quiz as a prank. They thought it was a real quiz. I am not that creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a classic teacher prank for sure!

      Delete
  2. I feel like we've been on spring break during April Fools for the past few years. Tomorrow will be my first in school April Fools day in a long time. I didn't have any ideas but now I have a few that I might try. My 4th and 5th graders love the rick roll stuff so I might try something with that.

    ReplyDelete