Tuesday, April 6, 2021

If Ever There was a Door

 


I stopped at the end of the trail.  The contrast between the forest around me and the field beyond me was stark to say the least.  It was like a border.  Perhaps I've read too many fantasy novels, but all I could imagine was that if I stepped over the abandoned rubble with my dog and my friend we would be transported to another realm.  

I wish I could say I was writing this slice on the other side of a grand adventure, but that is not the case.  However, I do not want to disparage the lovely patch of grass my friend, my dog, and I came upon during our walk this past Sunday.  The weather was warm, the skies were a shade of blue that can never be properly captured on film much less written word, and this field was tucked at the end of a small hiking trail near a river-side boat launch.

My friend and I had come prepared to draw and write in our notebooks, but instead we spread our blankets out among a field of vibrant grass and clover.  Perhaps it wasn't the fantastical world of elves and fairies, but it was for a moment a world separate from the weight of responsibility and expectation.  There's magic in that alone. 

And certainly that's the best way I can describe the feeling of stretching out and lying down in a secret field. I don't know if I've sprawled out in the grass like that since I was a child.  The sun shining bright -- so bright, that when you open your eyes again all of the colors are off -- and the sky stretching above me as though reflecting all of the possibilities that exist in this world.  My friend, my dog, and I all took a moment to enjoy this parallel world, but all too soon we had to leave.

I now have a better understanding for those stories where mortals leave this plane and elect to stay in fairy world forever.  



7 comments:

  1. It sounds absolutely wondrous! I hope you are able to return and enjoy it again, and not discover that it has disappeared as magical places sometimes do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my second time there -- so I am hopeful it will hold for a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Ooooo, magic for sure. Discovering new beautiful things within our worlds is so magical and surprising. So glad you were able to venture into a space so peaceful and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad I captured that -- because it FELT magical.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Now I really want to go lie down in a field somewhere and just forget about everything—like you, I haven't done any such thing in a long time. Thank you for sharing this wonderful vignette! (Also, I saw some of your tweets on the sidebar, and I just want to say that I hope you are holding up all right as your state government hurls the worst kind of vitriol around.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it -- especially if you can find the right field that has, like, really soft grass to spread out in. And thank you for checking on me. I am fine. Angry and frustrated and tired of what my state continues to do to the LGBTQ community -- but fine.

      Delete