Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Dusting This Off: Slice of Life 2023 Pre-Gaming

One of my favorite chores as a child was dusting.  

I would gather up each knick-knack, doodad, and trinket and gently place them in a pile to the side of wherever I was to dust.  Then, I would spritz the dresser or table or desk with Pledge Furniture polish.  The burst of lemon would make my eyes water a bit, but I would quickly wipe the lemon-scented residue away with the tattered cloth my mom had long ago designated the dusting rag.  

It made me happy to see the furniture glisten afterwards -- the scent of citrus still in the air.

I don't dust nearly as much any more and I'm afraid I've let far too many things grow dusty with neglect: my apartment, my classroom, and now this blog.  I think I can live with my furniture gathering dust a little while longer, but not my blog.  Not with the Slice of Life Challenge starting tomorrow!

I may not be able to take a can of Pledge to an online platform, but I can pledge to show up for this year's Slice of Life Story Challenge and take up blogging once more.  Specifically blogging for a personal reason and not just blog posts for Teach Write!

If nothing else, I could certainly use some of that citrusy scent in my life, but I will settle for the familiar logo: 



6 comments:

  1. ERICA!!!!!! I love everything about this post!! It's so you!

    "I may not be able to take a can of Pledge to an online platform, but I can pledge to show up for this year's Slice of Life Story Challenge..."

    LOL. Miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad my writing voice hasn't changed too drastically. Miss you as well.

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you. My last blog post was back in October. Your description of Pledge brought back my own childhood memories and thoughts of my mom who has been gone for 28 years. Best of luck in the 2023 challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could smell the pledge as I was reading your slice! It brought me back to my own childhood. You're right--it did feel satisfying to see the furniture glisten afterward. Sometimes I would over spray and the floor would glisten, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad as that is definitely what I was going for here! And I definitely did that as well -- though that was preferred to the time I accidentally got the wrong cleaning substance and ended up stripping our polish from the table entirely. A slice for another day perhaps?

      Delete