Thursday, March 30, 2023

9 Moments to Remember and 1 Moment to Forget (SOLSC 30/31)

 

Here is a highlight reel of moments from Italy.  Nine moments I want to cement into my brain.  One moment I want to erase from happening.

  1. Playing Uno on a patio with our Italian tour guide as the sun slowly drops over the Mediterranean in the distance.
  2. Walking out onto a pitch black pier over the Adriatic and watching as a group of teenage boys plunged into the chilly spring waters.
  3. Taking a bite of seafood risotto under the fairy lights of a restaurant tucked away in Venice.
  4. Tilting my head up to look at ceiling after ceiling with paintings of heaven and briefly remembering what it was like to be in awe of the divine.
  5. Sitting outside, sipping wine, and watching a horse drawn carriage move towards a grand basilica.
  6. Watching so many people try different ways to support the Pisa tower as it leans precariously—never to fall.
  7. Strutting down an alley straight out of a post card and feeling like a model as I get my picture taken.
  8. Discovering that there is, in fact, gelato on every corner in many parts of Italy and going for the shorter line.
  9. Feeling the chronological dissonance of ancient buildings right next to technology and realizing anything built after the 1600s is “new.”
  10. Remembering lines of Shakespeare’s tragedies (of all things) as I wipe the blood from my mother’s hands.  I wish I could wipe the accident that brought forth the blood just as easily.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip for you! Except for number 10 of course! I udnerstand why you want to cement them in your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you describe each moment is so vivid. I hope the tenth memory had a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete