Saturday, March 25, 2023

When in Rome (SOLSC 25/31)

 


As much as I love postcards, they really don’t do anything the justice of what it looks like in person.  I think that has been most true in Rome.

Everything is so much bigger and brighter in person; everything is SO much more crowded.

I have to squeeze through and it is so easy to lose sight of people.  Luckily, despite my own “short” comings we do have some tall people in our group.

The worst spot yesterday was the Trevi Fountain.  I knew we needed to toss some coins in per the myth, but I almost didn’t because of the small mob of people surrounding it.

But my mom plunged in and I knew to follow.  Before I knew it we were directly in front of Neptune and I was digging some coins out of my purse.

One to return.  Two to find love.  I noticed no one threw in the third for marriage.



After we emerged from the crowd, I muttered: “If I return to Rome, it will be through the airport on my way back to Venice!”



5 comments:

  1. You capture so well the lifeof a tourist. In a place, seeing it clearly, better than a postcard can ever capture. However, because many want to see the sites, it is SO crowded. Glad you could see Nepture up close and hope your tossing brings you your wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, lots of places are crowded. Less so in shoulder and off season. I was in Rome in 2015. The Trevi fountain was undergoing renovations so no coin tossing for me. Still, I loved the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite line: "my mom plunged in and I knew to follow". Isn't that the way of it? I've been following your adventures on FB (or IG? I can't keep anything straight). It's interesting to remember how different photos are from the reality. Glad you followed your mom in to see the fountain. Hope you get some relief from the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through your words, I could envision the crowd of some tall people in your group and your short comings. So glad you followed your mom and the words you selected made it easy for me to visualize that too- my mom plunged in and I knew to follow. Thank goodness for moms who lead us through frustrational moments to joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like crowds either, but I can imagine through your words the thrill of seeing the sights. Funny people are not wishing for marriage. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete