Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Chance Encounters (SOLSC 7/31)

 


"I think I know her." I say, watching as the waitress hurries past us and out the door.  I didn't get a good look at her face, and I can't help but try and catch her eye as she leaves.  I know it will bug me if I don't say something.  I am shy, but I will break my habit of talking to strangers if it is a stranger I think I recognize.  I make a mental note to find her later.

Fortunately, I don't have to as when we are seated for lunch, the familiar face is the one to slide up to our table.  Here is my chance! I'm now 99% positive I recognize this young woman about to take our order. However, before I can say anything, my dad chimes in: "My daughter thinks she knows you."

The waitress's eyes light up as she finally sees me for the first time.  I smile and we both make the connection at the same time.  I recognize her as a former student at the same time she remembers me as her former teacher.

She squeals as she says my name, clearly delighted: "Ms. Johnson, right?"  

"Yes, and you're Amaya."  I'm usually terrible at student names, but despite not having taught her since 2016 I still remember her vividly.  I didn't quite match her enthusiasm, but only because I was still in a bit of shock.  I wonder if this is how celebrities feel when they are recognized in public?

It was surreal moment, especially in the middle of lunch on a random Sunday afternoon in an area far from my usual stomping grounds.  Then again, we were in the area of where I first started teaching, so it wasn't completely random.  

"What are you doing these days," she asks.

"Oh, still teaching.  I'm at Vilonia now though.  How are you?"

"I'm good!  I just started here.  I drive by the high school sometimes, just to see how it's grown.  It's so much better now."

I nod, I hadn't seen it for myself, but I could remember the years I worked there.  It wasn't a building so much as a collection of trailers in those days.  Although at least then I had windows.  "It's good to see you too."

I try not to dwell on the fact that I don't have nearly the enthusiasm to see her.  I wouldn't say I have bad memories of her, but I didn't think we were so close as to elicit that squeal of excitement. My real mistake comes when I share that with my parents after they ask me if she was a good student. 

"Not really," I say without thinking.  But, I amend later, "She was just a teenager with some attitude."  

I don't remember how it comes up, but as we are getting ready to leave she brings my parents the check and mentions that I was actually her favorite teacher!  

"Really?"  I'm flattered, touched, and a little embarrassed, because of what I had said earlier.

"Yes!  I loved how bubbly and positive you were.  You were the best teacher at charter."

I don't know if I'll be back at that restaurant, but it was a humbling experience to have a student be so thrilled to see me.  It just goes to show how wildly different experiences can occur despite being in the same room.



2 comments:

  1. This post was powerful for me. You never know the impact you have on a student, unless you are lucky enough to have them tell you. Since I taught elementary - 2nd grade, 3rd and then 4th, I often don’t recognize my former students. But after retiring in June, any time I’m subbing in “my” school, some the former fourth grades run over to hug me, high five me or just say hi. I DO feel like a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are like a rock star to her and that is why she squealed at seeing you. You made a big impact on her in a positive way as her favorite teacher. Take this teacher moment and tuck it away somewhere to come back to on the days you need inspiration. Let her squeal inspire you.

    ReplyDelete