Monday, March 6, 2023

Green Thumb (SOLSC 6/31)

This was a piece I originally wrote in June of 2022 for a Garden Party themed writing challenge (though Teach Write as usual).  I have not posted it to my blog before and wanted to do so now.  Especially since today is my dad's birthday and this seemed like a great way to honor and celebrate him!  The style of writing is called a "haibun" which is a form of poetry that combines prose and haiku.

Happy 62nd Birthday Dad!

I don't have the green thumb of my father or perhaps it is that I don't have the patience for plants that he does.  I miss the signs of need or care that they communicate to him so clearly.

I wish I could harvest my own vegetables to admire or bask in the beauty of a bouquet grown by my own hand, but that is not a skill I have cultivated.  I know a lot about plants -- textually -- but keeping them alive and healthy always seems to allude me.

Instead I will grow

the poetry and prose of

my pen on the page.



8 comments:

  1. This a new poem form to me. I love your haiku and the celebration of your father. Now I’m off to learn more about hainun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a form I should really come back to.

      Delete
  2. So simple, yet so beautiful. I couldn't help but infer a connection between your father's patience and care and the way with which you choose words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading the Goldberg book for our book club and she talks about the haibun in it! I like growing words as well as growing flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Growing words as well as growing flowers" is a great way to put it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I have never heard of this type of poem before. I love the way the prose is about your dad and the Haiku links the two of you together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd never heard of it before this particular writing challenge -- I haven't done one since, but I think I should write another sometime soon.

      Delete