Saturday, March 11, 2023

Currently (SOLSC 11/31)

I've seen many people do this type of slice, so I thought I would give it a try. Currently I am...

watching an anime called High Card.  It tells the story of a fantasy world set in a more modern time where people have found cards that grant magical abilities.  Each card in the deck has a unique ability or power and some of them are quite bizarre.  It's been entertaining though and I have found all of the characters to be engaging.  There doesn't seem to be much to it yet, but it strikes me as the kind of show that will only improve as it continues and the characters' backstories start to come to light and cause conflict around them.

reading two very different books at the moment.  I'm always juggling multiple books.  

First, there is Amanda Gorman's Call Us What We Carry, a book of poetry I am reading in preparation for a poetry month book club event (link).  I have not made much progress with it because the poetry is heavier than I anticipated.  Not in a bad way, just I want to soak in the words and each poem takes some time to unpack and appreciate.  I have very much enjoyed it though and if you are interested you should totally join us for book club!

In addition, I am also reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  I am not very far into it, so all I have is that it is set in a very sci-fi environment and takes place on a space ship with a motley crew.  I'm excited to read more as I just finished Becky Chambers' novellas that were also sci-fi and they were fun reads!

listening to older episodes of the podcast Critical Role.  I am caught up on the latest in Campaign Three and so decided I could spend some time listening to some of the Exandria Unlimited content.  I would love to make time for Campaign Two again -- especially since I will have a long flight soon to dedicate some time.  I just finished listening to The Magnus Archives and would love to find more podcasts like that!  I love podcasts that tell stories more so than anything.

hoping to get my grading caught up and sub plans ready.  Spring Break is in one week and I will be venturing to Italy with a group from the school.  We will actually be gone for a few days after school returns and I want to make sure I am prepared.  That's actually my plan for this weekend, but most of the time it's difficult enough planning a week at a time.

waiting for the aforementioned trip -- I can't believe it's so soon!



10 comments:

  1. I love the details you included with your currently slice. You are reading, listening, and watching some interesting stuff. Italy is a beautiful place to explore. I am excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always forget about this format, but I like how it keeps things simple and yet offers such insight into what people are engaging in outside of writing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendations! ... will check out the poetry one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good and she does a lot of clever word play and formatting as well.

      Delete
  3. Love your currently lists. I’ll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have filled your days with good stuff and have a wonderful trip waiting ahead. I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My days have been pretty good lately.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how I love this type of slice. It's just so much fun to be in the moment with someone and see a glimpse of life within other walls. I'm excited for you about your trip, and can't wait to see photos of your travels. I love Italy - definitely a favorite in my book. Rome is full of sights and history and art, but I think I truly loved Florence with all of the fun Pinocchio sightings! Have an amazing time, and take lots of pictures. Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain, and eat pasta with arrabbiata sauce and have pistachio gelato. Oh, now I'm just wanting to hop on that plane and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember it when I am traveling -- since I am not sure how well I will do at remembering to update my blog otherwise. It's going to be a LOT, but I am determined to make it work. I already made sure I can easily post blogs from my phone.

      I didn't know that about Florence and Pinocchio! That's so cool. I'll definitely have to come back to this post as a reference for your tips if nothing else. Thanks Kim.

      Delete
  6. This is my tried and true! I am so exctied for you about this trip. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete