Thursday, March 9, 2023

Morning Routes (SOLSC 9/31)


Follow me from the parking lot to my classroom for my morning route/routine! 

I park my car sometime between 7:05 am and 7:25 am and make sure my podcast pauses correctly -- I don't want to miss out on the thrilling moments of Critical Role or The Magnus Archives.  If I'm playing music, I may linger a bit longer and let the song finish -- getting me excited for the day ahead.

I step out, gathering my things to bring inside: my large tote bag that carries my keys, lunch, my notebook, pens, and a planner.  On a good day I remember to toss my phone into the bag.  On a bad day I leave my phone perched in its holder and waiting for me to come back in 10-15 minutes before students arrive. On a really good day I bring Starbucks for myself or donuts for my colleagues.

Sometimes I get to the door at the same time as Ms. Gray or Mr. Rice.  Other times it's just me and the sound of a nearby mourning dove crying hello. The leaves are still gone from the nearby tree and I pause before stepping inside. Can I spot her in the branches today?  

I should count how many steps from the door to my classroom.  I pass five doors on my left and three doors on my right before reaching my room.

I have a bright pink desk lamp on a shelf near the door that is turned on first.  I set my tote bag down behind my desk and then make a circuit of the room to turn on each and every lamp.  Overhead lights are the bane of my students' existence even with the blue sky light coverings I put over them.  I move from lamp to lamp, but pause when I reach the other classroom door.  This door faces my neighbor's room and makes for a quick exit.  

I open my door, step over to hers, and shout merrily as I step into her room, "Good Mor--."

She is not there and my shoulders immediately slump: disappointed.  My neighboring teacher friend is not there, but I did spy her truck in the parking lot, so at least I don't have to worry about her.  I return to my own room, closing the door behind me, and continue lighting the lamps.

Before students arrive at 7:50 am, I make sure to start my coffee, check my email, tweak the agenda for the day and make last minute copies because I won't get a chance to do any of that again until lunch.

What's your morning route to your classroom like?



4 comments:

  1. I loved this peek into your morning and all of the little things you noticed and shared along the way. My room is the farthest point from the front door and is 1/4 mile! It's quite the hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our campus is much smaller I think based on that description. I am a decent walk, but certainly not that far!

      Delete
  2. I walk to school each day, and once I enter the building, I zip right to my classroom for some more solitude. After period 1, I emerge to talk to colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate that -- I need a few minutes before students arrive or else I don't feel prepared at all!

      Delete