Monday, March 13, 2023

Restarting the Day (SOLSC 13/31)

I was all ready to go until I wasn't.

My agenda slides were displayed, my music was playing, and I was about to get my coffee when I noticed a pop up on my computer. I leaned in, reading the notification that informed me that I was going to need to restart my computer for updates or it would restart on its own at 8:05 A.M. 

I knew I had to make a decision.  Students would be arriving at any moment.  I could restart it now or risk being in the middle of something and having it cut out on me at the most inconvenient time.  I sighed and opted for restarting it then.  I just had to pray that the installation wouldn't take too long and I could always have students quietly reading in the mean time.

I would not let the computer dictate how I started my day.

Although even as I watched my screen go dark I couldn't help but wonder: who scheduled a school computer to install updates five minutes after class starts?  Clearly someone not of sound mind or at least someone who was never a teacher themselves.


  

2 comments:

  1. Technology! Ugh! Every. Single. Day. Something goes wrong for me. I am going to use your words "I would not let the computer dictate how I started my day" as my new mantra. Great slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely learned to roll with it, but this one took the take because it was clearly a scheduled restart and seriously who would schedule a restart for five minutes AFTER students arrive in the morning! It's always something though, you're right.

      Delete