Sunday, March 19, 2023

Several Hours Later: A Travel Log from LR to Rome (SOLSC 20/31)

I thought this was the perfect format to track my trip from LR to Rome on March 18 & 19.  I think most of my slices for this trip will be “delayed” between time differences and just finding time to write!


The “And before that” format/ story structure I originally saw on Fran’s blog.



The plane descends from the clouds and it dawns on me that I am touching down in a part of the world with such ancient history that it borders on the mythical. Even though there is a strong smell of cigarettes as I step outside, I am grateful to be off of planes for a week.


And before that I am weaving through an airport line to go through security (again).  I have not slept much or at least to call it sleep would be generous.  I am nervous because I don’t technically have an official boarding pass.  Travel with a big group is stressful!


And before that I happen to pull up the map and see we are flying over St. John’s and I think about how I am still so close to Karen and yet so far.  I go to sleep, dreaming of the places I am going and have yet to seen.


And several hours before that I am writing this from the seat of a plane that will take me to Paris!  We made our connection!  I will not be staying in Paris, but it’s neat that I get to pass through.  I am seated alone — without my group.  We are scattered about the plane, but I have a pretty good seat above the wing and only have to share with one person instead of center aisle.


And before that I am breathing through my nausea as the plane takes off from Atlanta.  I don’t know what changed in the past few years that flying causes me to feel ill.  Luckily, I am able to sit next to my mom and we play a quick game as we pass the quick time in the air.  We’ll have to take off running to make our connection.


And before that I am standing at the kiosk.  I am trying not to panic as I stare at a ticket to only Atlanta.  A mistake?  They assure me it is not.  I will just lean in and trust the process.


And before that I am sliding out of the car and gathering my luggage.  “Check your purse,” mom says.  A helpful reminder because sure enough I spy my passport holder on the seat!  I grab it and off we go.



4 comments:

  1. Travel seems to always be full of stress- luckily the payoff is so much fun! I enjoyed following you to Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious of your travels! I hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh, so much fun! Big group - is this a trip with students? With Teach Write??!?? (hehe)
    Safe and happy travels. I love this format for this particular slice - have fun this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressed that you are still Slicing while traveling! Love to read about the adventure.

    ReplyDelete