Thursday, March 2, 2023

World Made of Glass (SOLSC 2/31)


This summer my friend and I visited the Chihuly Garden in Seattle, an exhibit of the work of Dale Chihuly.  I am not sure if my words can truly capture how breath taking each room was -- a prismatic wonderland molded into fantastical shapes.  Entering each room of the exhibit was like entering a new alien world.  Some attempted to mirror the natural world found in forests and oceans; while others were so strange that it was more like the ribbon candy dreams out of the mind of Willy Wonka.

I was in awe of the rainbow of colors swirling, twirling, folding, and unfolding around me.  

However, the true marvel for me was not in the darkened rooms of the museum, but when you stepped out into the garden area.  This was where the alien world of glass stood in stark contrast with the natural world of plants.  I could see shocks of blue and purple sculptures blending into the vibrant green reeds of grass and ferns.

I had been taking pictures all along, but I came to a stop below a blue sky.  I was surrounded by glass blown and molded to look like a fireball -- shades of bright yellow to burning crimson streaking across the blue backdrop of the sky.  I turned to my friend and said: "You have to get my picture!  I want it to look like I'm creating fire from my hands."

She held up her phone and directed my posing.  It was extremely awkward, being shaped myself, but like the artwork around me the result was spectacular.

Today's slice was brought to you by another Teach Write Daily Writing prompt.


3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Chihuly, but your descriptions sound beautiful, especially the "ribbon of candy dreams out of the mind of Willy Wonka." And what an awesome picture of you holding that fire. I think there may be some hidden sylbolism in that as well. Wink, wink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the artist, but your description is so intriguing. You definitely managed to portray what you wanted in the second picture - creating fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chihuly’s work and saw it last at an exhibit in your home state a few years ago. I love the way you got a picture of yourself interacting with the fire.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete