Saturday, March 18, 2023

At My Mother's Feet (SOLSC 18/31)

My childhood was spent at my mother's feet, fidgeting as she put another braid in my hair.  

I never had the patience for hair like she did.  Whenever she visited the salon it always felt like it took hours to be done.  I can still remember kicking my feet against the hair dryer chairs (they looked like the kind of Sci-Fi contraption that would suck out your brain) waiting for my mother to have her regular color, cut, and style.  

Even now, she expects me to one day grow my hair out like her and give it the attention she does.  I don't have the heart to tell her that will never happen.

This is another post I wrote for a past Teach Write challenge that I felt was very fitting for SOLSC. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember, as a kid, going into a hair salon with my grandmother and being baffled by all the machines, and wondering: what is going on in this place?
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the salon when I was little and the lollypops they would give me. It's the reverse- my mom always had short hair and mine has always been long. The rituals of hair care are quite amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of the hair dryer, "they looked like the kind of Sci-Fi contraption" made me smile. I have always thought of design of hair dryers as very odd looking machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tender moment. I am trying to picture you with braids after knowing you with only short hair!

    ReplyDelete