Saturday, March 4, 2023

Falling Short (SOLSC 4/31)

 


The last day of the CrossFit Open was not the triumphant high I had hoped to end on.  I got stuck on the first section (wall walks) and that meant I could not move on to the other sections of the workout that I might have been better suited for.  

I struggled.  I got frustrated.  I cursed and cried.  I walked away.  I couldn't make it past the first round.

I can't decide if I am upset because I tried my best and still fell short or because in walking away a part of me feels like I gave up.

There are two things I am taking away from this experience:

1. I am grateful for my CrossFit friends, community, and coaches.  They were quick to congratulate me on my efforts and work that I have put in up until now.  They cheered me on, even when I wasn't feeling like I deserved those cheers.  I am so glad I have the gym that I do, because I think it would be so easy to give up if I didn't have that support system in place.

2. This is not the end of my journey, but a stepping stone.  I can start here, at two wall walks completed, and push myself to grow stronger and get better in time for next year's open or the open after that.  Heck, I may have an opportunity to try again as early as Monday with a better scaling option or at least more guidance on how to get my attempted reps to count!  

It's only quitting if you stop trying.  I have to keep showing up and do the work.

Today's slice was brought to you by another Teach Write Daily Writing prompt.


4 comments:

  1. You may not have moved on, but I am still in awe of what you are doing! And I love the way you are using the Teach Write prompts this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always impressed with your CrossFit posts, Erica. They kick me in the butt to get to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not a quitter! I would quit before I even started because getting up when you do seems impossible to me. That is dedication and perseverance on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete